June 8-10, 2018 – in CHICAGO
A City of Blues
plus fine arts, food, and architecture
Come to Chicago for a Yale Class of ‘70 mini-reunion. Help celebrate our collective 70th birthday together!
Overview: Our hotel, Radisson Blu Aqua, is near Millennium Park (but you can stay elsewhere). Our celebrations coincide with the free Chicago Blues Festival held at Millennium Park. In addition, we’ve planned group activities from Friday evening to Sunday morning, such as class dinners, an architectural cruise, and a mid-Saturday presentation. All of these are within a short walk from the Radisson (so no transportation costs are built into registration fees).
Consider extending your stay a bit. Stay-on for a Sunday afternoon visit to the Oriental Institute and see new public art, then attend a reception at a classmate’s nearby home. (The Oriental Institute is easily accessibly by Uber.) Or come early to sample some of Chicago’s many attractions.
Lodging: We have reserved a block of rooms at the Radisson Blu Aqua, 221 N Columbus Dr., Chicago, IL. Our cost is $299 per night (plus tax). This price does not include breakfast or brunch! You can register online or by phone.
By Phone: Contact the Radisson at (800) 333-3333 and ask for the “YALE70” room block rate.
Online Radisson registration link: Click here to make an online reservation using the promotion code “YALE70”. When guests click on the booking link, they will need to enter the dates of stay between Friday, June 8, 2018 – Sunday, June 10, 2018. Once entered, they will be able to book the contracted rate of $299 for a king guestroom.
Llew has just gotten the cut-off day for reserving rooms at this special rate extended!
You must make your own room reservations. New cut-off date to reserve for this price is May 4, 2018. HOWEVER, this is an in-demand weekend and the number of reserved rooms is limited, so … DO NOT DELAY! Availability is on a first come, first served basis.
Schedule for group activities, all within walking distance of the Radisson. Click here for schedule details.
- Friday night: Pizza – Chicago deep dish as well as thin crust (we’re still negotiating on venue). Cash bar. Dress is casual.
- Saturday morn: Architectural Cruise, one of the top city attractions, pier near our hotel.
- Saturday mid-day: A presentation and discussion panel at the Radisson, topic to be announced.
- Saturday afternoon: Free time to enjoy the blues with fellow old blues – at Millennium Park.
- Saturday eve: III Forks Steak House, you want classy, you got classy: near hotel. Dress is classy business casual.
- Sunday morn: Join us for brunch at the Radisson (you pay for what you order).
- Sunday mid-day extension: join us at the Oriental Institute (accessible by Uber, transportation not included), admission free. Then meet the Yale sculptor of new public art near the Institute.
- Sunday afternoon extension: light reception at home of Charles Lipson ‘70, in Hyde Park (a short walk from the Oriental Institute, but also accessible by Uber).
Registration for group activities: Online registration for the mini-reunion itself is at https://yale-alumni-events.secure.force.com/Registration?EventCode=YCC-1970-CHI-2018. All event venues require advance booking so must be pre-paid. Register today!
We’ve kept the total cost low: only $194 (not counting lodging or travel). But you can also pick and choose what you want to attend, with a la carte pricing.
Chicago is more popular than ever. It’s about to shatter all of its tourism records, including the one it set last year. And Bon Appetit named Chicago the best restaurant city of the year, and it boasts one of the country’s most daring restaurants, Alinea. Chicago is the city of Frank Lloyd Wright, with examples of the best work of other amazing architects. Architecture tours abound. Don’t forget the Cubs or the Chicago Symphony. For time when you can fit these and other Chicago attractions into you schedule, see the detailed mini-reunion schedule at https://at70.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Yale70Chicago_schedule.pdf.
If you wish to help out, contact Llew Miller, our Mini-Reunion Chair (email@example.com).